Thursday, February 7, 2013

DIY Popsicle Stick Family



The boys and I worked on our Valentine's Day cards for family today. While digging through the craft box, I found a large bag of Popsicle sticks I bought at the Salvation Army Thrift Store for $.99. Knowing me, I probably bought them on a coordinating 50% off colored tag sale and got them for $.50. I am stupid cheap like that...

Anyway, without any wood glue, I searched for some ways to use the sticks as a fun learning tool for my kids. I stumbled upon Teawagontale's how-to for her "miss lolly dolly" stick people. The miss lolly dollies are super cute, as she adorned them with washi tape and ribbon.

I decided to make our little family out of the Popsicle sticks. I also wrote the names of our family members on the sticks so David can learn to copy them. He is already a super star at writing his own name, but now he can work on the other names in the family.

I can also use these stick people to ask David:
Who looks the same?
Who looks different?
What color are daddy's pants?
How do you spell "mommy"?
What is James wearing?

In addition to a learning tool, David and James can use their imagination with the Popsicle stick family by creating situations and scenarios for them. I can already see David taking the daddy stick for a ride in the garbage truck!

Materials:
Popsicle Sticks
Fine Black Pen
Colored Pencils, Crayons or Markers


I started with the notch of the hair and worked my way down on each family member. Once drawn, I lightly colored in the clothing with a colored pencil. I tried to do something a little different on each stick and alternate the colors of the clothing.

This craft is so easy and their are a million and one different things you could draw! Need a few more ideas?

Animals
Proffesionals
Fruits and Vegetables
Characters
Super Heros
Shapes
Numbers
Colors

I am tempted to make all our grandparents, aunts and uncles, too! Who knows, I may even draw the family dog...

What crafts have you completed lately?


3 comments:

I read and appreciate every comment to my blog posts! Thank you!.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...