Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Potty Training: Day One, Part I


Do you remember back in high school and college when you took notes in class and they always looked like this:

I. blah blah blah
     A. blah
     B. blah blah
          a. blah bitty blah
               i. blah boo boo blah

So on and so forth...

That is how I feel my day is going and how the next week will unfold. Yes, potty training (I can already tell) is a series small bulleted points that need to be read in all the right order. If not, nothing will make sense and no one will have learned anything.

Even though I am only on Part I, I can see that it takes incredible patience, on both parts, and incredible kindness. I know it has only been half a day but I have enjoyed hanging out on my bathroom floor with both my boys talking about bowel movements.

I mean really, how awesome is it to be a Mom of two boys, getting to discuss crap all day. Win!

I had David pick out colors for my toes while we waited for some potty action.

Since 8 am, we have had 3 messes and 1 potty. Even though it doesn't seem like much yet, the first hour there were tears even mentioning anything about a potty. So, getting David to actually sit and go potty is a feat in my eyes.

I have read so many things about not pushing him too much to potty and being supportive and encouraging instead of trying to make him go. It all makes sense.

I figure he will just sit on the potty until he goes.Within a reasonable time limit of course.

After lunch I tried to have him potty again with no luck so I slapped a pull-up on him and we will do a repeat of the morning when he wakes up.

Here's to hoping!

3 comments:

  1. Good luck! We are almost to the potty training point, too. Scary! I will be reading for more updates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not in this life stage--yet, but kudos to you for tackling the potty training head on! You will make it happen and think about how much easier life will be once you do :) YAY! keep trucking...and enjoying those colorful toes! xoxo {av}

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember those days! I have successfully potty trained 3 kids, and it has stuck. They are 17, 14 and 12 :) I don't have any idea how old your son is, but I can tell you what we did. With my oldest, the moment she turned 2 I was all about the potty training. She, however, thought I was out of my mind. So then I consulted all of my friends with no fewer than 3 completely potty trained kids. They all pretty much said the same thing, which was that you can work and work and work at it (like most every mom does with her first) before they're ready and you will enjoy regularly cleaned carpets, upholstered furniture and sheepishly telling a store clerk a clean-up is needed on aisle 4. OR you can periodically ask your child if they want to go potty like a big kid yet, cruise them by the very cool big kid underwear at Target, and then wait. (The waiting will feel excruciating to you by the way.) Then one day, lo and behold your child will say yes, they want to potty like a big kid, walk into the bathroom and do it! Then you will immediately (this is important)get in the car and go buy whatever big kid underwear they desire at Target. You will probably experience a couple accidents in the next couple of weeks, which for me beat an entire year full of accidents by leaps and bounds. I have 1 girl and 2 boys of very different personalities and it worked with each one of them...when they were around 3 years old. I wish you the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate every comment to my blog posts! Thank you!.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...