Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Grandma's Pepper Steak (with Leftover Steak!)

I often like to brag at Grandma's house. However, she gives me permission to do so.

Whilst (what a great word!) I was bragging about Pete's awesome steak he made the night before, Grandma was tuning in to hear if I had any leftovers. My Grandma is amazing about using any leftover bit here and there for future meals. In fact, she is amazing about saving any and every leftover bit of anything to use for something else. I think of her every time I get to the end of my shampoo bottles. You know you have a good 10 or more washes left out of the bottle, but it is so much fun to get new shampoo! I try my hardest these days to not waste. It feels way easier to chuck a near empty bottle of shampoo, than it is to just tip the bottle over for a few days.

Anyway, I told her I had about 1/3 of a steak left. I might just cut it up cold and have it for a snack (or, God forbid, forget it is in my fridge and throw it away after finding it a week later). "No, no, no!" she says to me. Before I knew it, she was rustling around finding pen and paper and scribbling down a recipe for a super easy Pepper Steak.

That's right, she had it memorized.



I found myself saying the usual, "Yeah, yeah. Ok, Grandma. I'll try it. Sure, sure." Well, this time I DID try it! And it was awesome.



Grandma's Pepper Steak

1 c. Leftover Steak - cubed
1/2 c. Diced Onion
1/2 c. Diced Green Pepper
1/2 T Butter
1 c. Beef Broth or Beef Bullion Dissolved in Water
2 T Soy Sauce
2 T Cornstarch
1/4 c. Water

  1. Cook down onion and green pepper in butter until soft.
  2. Add steak and stir.
  3. Add broth and soy sauce and bring to boil.
  4. In separate container dissolve cornstarch in water.
  5. Reduce heat to medium and stir in cornstarch mixture to thicken.
  6. Serve over rice.
I served my Pepper steak with buttered toast sprinkled with garlic salt! This recipe is so flexible, you could add any odd & ends veggies you have in you fridge or freezer.

2 comments:

  1. Made this today, I cant go out cuz COVID19. Had some leftover steak and it came out great! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going to make this right now, only slicing the steak! Here goes

    ReplyDelete

I read and appreciate every comment to my blog posts! Thank you!.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...